dimanche 16 août 2009

CD III - Get Tough (Prelude 1983)

(First I have to say that my english isn't perfect so I try to be as clear as possible)

This is the N°1 record that was in my wanted list for almost 25 years ! And finally I found two vinyl copies that I bought one month ago.
I first heard it on a little Belgian radio back in 84/85 called Radio Santé while I was living at the border between France and Belgium. There was a NATO military base so I guess the radio DJ was connected with some soldiers as every weeks they were playing fresh Hip Hop. Every sunday I was waiting 4.00 PM to listen to that show while all my friends were having fun at the skating rink ! Everybody was telling me that I am crazy to listen to radio instead looking for girls with them, but they can't understand what Hip Hop meant to me at that time, it was like I was waiting for all my (teenage) life.
Funny thing is that it was pressed in France by EMI but never knew that. I always remembered the name of the group even if I was not sure how it spell and I didn't knew the title too.

Prelude is well known for Funk/Disco than for Hip Hop, artists signed were D Train, Empress, Mastermind or Secret Weapon (even, this is for french people : Martin Circus !) to name a few.

You can see the mispelling on the cover, Get Touch instead of Get Tough ! Notice that Howie Tee was member of this trio and I have read (don't remember where) that Marley Marl mixed the cut. This is the french press on EMI. When listenig to the lyrics we can heard that it wasn't only about party rhymes or egotrip, there is serious message in it !

free image host

free image host free image host

CD III - Get Tough Vocal


CD III - Get Tough Instrumental


Look the video :

1 commentaire:

Anonyme a dit…

Nice, great tune. I have a few records from that time and Ive got this one too. I need to get a record player!